Saturday, April 16, 2011

Darn right I voted for John B. Anderson




1980 was kind of fun. I lived in DC with H-Man and Joel. My Orioles had a near-great year. And living in the capitol of the US, there was politics. When Joel would go out with Sara, I would listen to his great radio. The music was fresh as it could be. Marshall Crenshaw was belting "Someday Someway" and "Cynical Girl." And on that same radio came primary results. I wasn't happy with Jimmy Carter and that California governor scared me. Yes, it was Ronald Reagan. But also in that Republican primary came George Bush Sr and some unknown congressman from Illinois named John B. Anderson.
New Hampshire and Vermont held primaries and my new candidate John B. was right in the hunt. I was excited. The Washington Post chief cartoonist did a drawing of flowers with the same old politics. And then he drew a smiling flower named John B. Anderson.
History says it didn't work out. But on election day 1980, I ran outside to my 1974 Plymouth Scamp. I was headed to Laurel, Maryland to cast my ballot. In fact, I wasn't going anywhere. The DC cops had placed a Denver boot on my wheel. OK, I guess I was supposed to pay those parking tickets. I took a bus ride to my bank. I pulled out the $300 bucks and paid my debts. I waited for the boot removers. And then I saw my wheel go in and out as they took the boot off.
I made it. I drove to Laurel and was met with a big line of voters. I cast my ballot for John B. I got back into my car and it was announced on the radio that he had lost.
It was still a good year.

4 comments:

  1. Kenneth Patchen, AntiochApril 16, 2011 at 2:04 PM

    I remeber John Anderson. He was a big deal in Rockford where I was working at the time. He was considered to be an honest guy locally with a good reputation. No shame in voting for him then. Today would be different, but then the world is different too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to Rocford College from 80 - 84 so I definitely remember Mr. Anderson and yes he was a big deal back then. EVERYONE in Rkfd wanted him to win. It was my first real dealings with "politics".
    B.Evans

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, Rockford. Long night...
    B.Evans

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...Nov. 1980, my first and only presidential election vote in my hometown. I was a senior in college in Iowa, living on campus, but only actually 4 or 5 blocks from home, so not a long trip to vote at the elementary school near my home. I also recall attending the Iowa primary caucuses in early l980 and seem to recall voting for George Bush Sr. who was actually 8 years away from a presidential victory.

    --michael m

    ReplyDelete