Monday, November 8, 2010

Am I fired?



It must have been an omen. My last assignment for Pioneer Press came on Tuesday night. A milk shake I ordered after a volleyball match fell on the floor where I was typing. And then the call came in the morning. I needed to come to the office at 11 a.m. Heck the boys were home from school. And then I asked if I was fired. The answer was yes. I threw my cell phone on the bed. I was prepared to defend my positions all day long. But it was a massive layoff instead. They are killing my favorite newspaper. But what about me? Look at all the stuff I had done in 20 years. It's all down the drain now.
I'll always have the stories. How I was banned at two high schools for writing they didn't like. That was a badge of honor. Heck, I had my own golf tournament with all those great players and people.
There were so many emails and phone calls to make to all the great folks in Pioneer Press land. Heck, I hadn't been out work since 1987 when I moved to the Chicago area. This was the best job I ever had. And a few days later, folks were again offering me a chance to work in my chosen field. I love covering high school sports. The coaches are great. The kids are great. It's just fun. Did I have a chance to grieve? Not a chance. I was let go on Wednesday and Saturday I covered an exciting high school football game. Still, it's no fun to lose your job but everyone knows that.

5 comments:

  1. I like the term "fired" better than the term "laid off" and it fits much better for a person going on to bigger and better things. Time for a Shrine session and return to the search for big thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that fired is the better term. Having been through the experience multiple times myself, I know there is no difference in the impact the experience has on a person, a life and a career.

    I am bothered that my former employer Pioner Press has chosen this exact moment to provide an industry wide courtesy by offering up well entrench responsible knowledgable sports writers to help cover local sports. It strikes me as self-defeating, but then, what do I know?

    I hope my other former colleagues can be as quick-footed as you were, Bill.

    Ken Patchen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don’t like “fired” because it’s unimaginable that anyone would fire someone so talented, diligent and hard-working. But “laid off” is kinda weasely. Maybe we could call it “flayed.”

    Irv Leavitt

    ReplyDelete
  4. What? you had a job?

    ReplyDelete