Thursday, March 3, 2011

Just imagine: 50 years of marriage




Let's see now if I would be married to Eileen for 50 years, I would be....Oh, never mind.

This weekend was set aside for the 50th wedding anniversary of Betty and Marty Maloney. Naturally, these folks came along when I married their daughter. The Maloneys of Libertyville had 4 children (2 boys, 2 girls). I really took to Marty as he was a sports fan and later became my golfing partner for the Foursome Golf Tournament that I did for years. Betty is truly into her family life and such a decent person.
Betty gave me some insight recently in how Marty reacted when she was sick with those pregnancies. Let's put it this way, it probably wouldn't work today.
But with all the distractions and up and downs, making it to 50 years in a marriage is something incredible.
The festivities started in the church Eileen and I married in 14 years ago. They brought in a priest from the Dominican Order. He made his speech and I wanted to give him a standing ovation. If every religious character was like him, the world would be a great place. So instead of applauding, I gave him a hearty slap to his robe afterwards.
We then took off to the Marriott Lincolnshire for a big brunch. There were pictures taken and then we feasted.
Congrats to the fine Maloney couple.

1 comment:

  1. This is so sweet. I loved my in-laws too. I was always grateful they let me marry their daughter. It was the early 1970s and there were differences between me and rural Illinois prairie farmers in those days. My mother-in-law was great and generous with her knowledge so I could be a proper food-raising, jelly-making, bread-baking beekeeping hippie. My own Mom, to her eternal family lore credit, merely demanded to know of my wife, as we stood getting ready to march down the aisle to get married, what on earth made her (my wife to be) want to marry me (her own son). Yup. In-laws create the best people to marry.

    Kenneth Patchen
    Antioch

    ReplyDelete