Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Hot Pizza with strings attached


How do you explain this to your children? Eat blistering hot food just so you can get more in your stomach.
It's that marvelous pizza from Maryland. How many times did I wander in to the Ledo's near the University of Maryland. We would see that same old waitress. Evidently she didn't taste the pizza because she was all of 75 pounds.
Anyway, it was Mark and Eddie and Tommy, too. We would order a few trays of the stuff and go at it. Of course it was smoking hot and my mouth told me in no uncertain terms that there was a price to pay. The roof of my mouth burnt quickly and strings of skin hung down. However it was a small price for the delightful provolone cheese and sweet sauce of Ledo's. Of course, I would down 6 to 8 pieces in the first few minutes. Mark and Eddie were like the tortoise. Slow and steady. Mark would get a kick and finish off the whole darn thing. There were no manners here at all. It was eat as fast as you can thus hoping that would get more pizza down.
Of course we weren't the only ones enjoying this wonderful treat. After I left DC, a number of branches of this establishment opened up even in Virginia. On our last trip to DC, we had the Ledo's pizza right across the street from H-Man's house.
It's probably a good thing they don't have it in Chicago. I don't think my mouth would appreciate it.

2 comments:

  1. We have it almost weekly here in Lynchburg, Virginia! I was so excited when I heard we were getting a Ledo's...it took me back to all those years ago too. My parents started going to Ledo's before I started at UM. Many fond and tasty memories! Sherry Lane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ledos is addicting...like no other in that regard...

    ReplyDelete